Termites In North Carolina: A Complete Guide
Do you dream of settling down in the South? So do termites! Termite infestations in the South are never a matter of “if” but “when.” Familiarizing yourself with the most common termites in your area and learning how to identify them will go a long way in preventing an infestation. Our termite control in Jacksonville can help if you are already dealing with an infestation or you just want to be prepared.
North Carolina Termites
Amongst the most common in North Carolina, Eastern Subterranean and Formosan Subterranean Termites are known for snacking on wood and destroying homes and other man-made structures. These guys pose a large problem for humans and are difficult to identify.
North Carolina termites include:
- Eastern Subterranean Termites
- Formosan Subterranean Termites
Now that you’ve been given the low-down on which termites call the South home, how can they be identified?
Eastern Subterranean Termites
How to Identify Them:
These pests are a huge advantage to nature, but not so much for you. They not only cause a major inconvenience to your life, but your wallet as well. These can be identified by their dark brown or black body, half-inch size, and dusty-brown wings. If you come across a bundle of discarded wings, this might be a sign that you have an Eastern Subterranean Termite infestation.
Formosan Subterranean Termites
How to Identify Them:
This species is extremely destructive and has the ability to consume wood at an extremely rapid rate. Look for a pest that is a pale yellow to light brown in color, and has translucent wings accompanied by tiny hairs all over. These tend to have a longer body, and a short head with two pinchers, which makes up about a fourth of an inch. Formosan Termites can often be confused with flying ants, so look for their broad waist size to be sure.
Common signs of a termite infestation
The signs of a termite infestation include:
- Pinholes: First, you will want to look for odd sounds coming from your walls. To warn other termites, they will often make themselves known by shaking their bodies against the wood. While you’re inspecting your walls, keep an eye out for pinholes where termites might have eaten their way through.
- Paper-Thin Wood: Is the wood in your home looking paper-thin? Just like your drywall, termites will leave a thin layer of wood by eating away at it from the inside, leaving you with next to nothing.
- Discarded Wings: A bundle of discarded wings will usually be found near windowsills or doors. If you find this to be present in your home, it could mean you’re too late. This typically happens when the termite has found its mate and already has a nest residing in your home.
- Mud Tunnels: Mud tunnels are amongst the most common signs of a termite infestation. These can run up walls or foundations and are usually dark brown in color if newly formed. If these tubes are a little off in color, it could mean they haven’t been used in quite a while. Don’t take this as a sign to ignore it, as there is a possibility they could be forming elsewhere in your home.
What Damage Do Termites Cause?
Termites are capable of leaving your drywall discolored and dropping, tiles loosened, floorboards squeaking, wood damaged, and wallet empty. Though termites may take their time destroying your home, they may be further along than you think by the time you begin to notice. By staying on top of a termite infestation before it worsens, you can avoid significant damage to the foundation of your home and save yourself a whole lot of time and money in the process.
How to Get Rid of Termites
If you find yourself in the middle of a pest infestation, it is always best to call a professional. Located in Jacksonville, North Carolina, we deal with a variety of pests, from termites to bed bugs, spiders, ants, and mosquitos. As your local Jacksonville pest control and exterminator, we are nothing less than comprehensive, experienced, and effective. Not only can we take care of existing pests in your home, but we also offer preventative home pest services. In addition to reliable family and pet-friendly service in Eastern North Carolina, our goal is to make sure they never return!
What are the benefits of a termite inspection?
By booking your termite inspection, you are putting the situation in the hands of a trusted professional with extensive experience. This ensures that your home is being assessed efficiently and that you are keeping yourself out of harm’s way by not taking on this project yourself. In the long run, you’ll save time and money, and you’ll leave with peace of mind that the job is done quickly and accurately.
So, what sets us apart from others?
- Affordable care: We offer a comprehensive program with transparency and NO hidden fees.
- Same-day pest control: We know that you want pests gone as quickly as possible, which is why we offer same-day pest control when you call us before noon, Monday through Friday.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: We offer a FREE emergency call back service, which guarantees we will make it right if you are unsatisfied with our pest control services.
If you reside in Jacksonville, Wilmington, Hampstead, Surf City, Hubert, and other surrounding areas home, call us at 910-356-9966 to receive a quote!
What B&T Customers Are Saying
"They do a great job. Very conscientious and easy to schedule with."