Cockroach Identification & Prevention
What are cockroaches?
When dealing with a cockroach infestation, you likely won't be thinking about what species they are, only that you want them gone for good. However, understanding the species you are dealing with is essential to effective removal.
Here are common types of cockroaches in our area:
- German Cockroaches
- American Cockroaches
- Smokey Brown Cockroaches
- Oriental Cockroaches
- Asian Cockroaches
All cockroaches have an oval-shaped body, long antennae, and six legs. But they will vary in wing development, flying capability, color, and size.
American cockroaches are the largest species on this list. In contrast, German cockroaches are the smallest species, the most common home invader, and the most challenging to eliminate.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Cockroaches can transmit E. coli, gastroenteritis, cholera, typhoid fever, listeriosis, giardia, and salmonellosis. Even when they don't spread illnesses, they can cause contamination and produce allergens in the homes they infest.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
You might attract cockroaches to your house if you have uncovered drains and vents, cracks in the foundation, or other openings where they can get in, food sources they can feed on, and a lot of moisture.
Luckily, with the assistance of pest experts and making a few changes in your home, you can make it less conducive to cockroaches, helping to prevent them from returning.
Where will I find cockroaches?
Cockroaches are usually found in or around kitchens, eating areas, bathrooms, basements, and garages. They are primarily attracted to places with a lot of moisture and easy-to-access food, but cockroaches will eat just about anything, including pet waste.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Whether you need home pest control to eliminate an active cockroach problem or prevent a future one, you can look to our knowledgeable team at B&T Pest Control.
Our home pest control services provide a customized approach to pest problems, so when you work with us, you'll get the treatments you need.
Contact us at B&T Pest Control to start working with one of our service team members for cockroach control and prevention.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
As mentioned above, with assistance from experts and a few changes around your property, you can help keep cockroaches away. Here are a few things you can change to aid cockroach prevention:
- Inspect the outside of your home for potential entry points such as gaps around windows and doors, missing screens and weatherstripping, cracks in the foundation, uncovered drains and vents, and other openings where this pest can squeeze through and fix them.
- Keep up with maintaining your yard by regularly mowing the lawn, trimming shrubbery and landscaping, and clearing leaf litter and other organic debris.
- Remove food sources from the interior and exterior of your property by storing food in airtight containers, using garbage cans with fitting lids, cleaning up crumbs and spills, removing bird feeders, securing compost bins, and cleaning up pet waste.
- Reduce moisture by using dehumidifiers, fixing poor ventilation, keeping gutters free of debris, and repairing leaks.
- Declutter and organize the inside of your home and outbuildings to make it easier to clean and eliminate hiding places.
Work with our service team members at B&T Pest Control for home pest control in Jacksonville to keep you and your family safe from cockroaches.
Get Your Quote Today
Complete the form below and one of our service team members will be in touch shortly