North Carolina is becoming one of the top places to live in the United States. Unfortunately, cockroaches think so too. With our hot and humid summers here, this is the ideal environment for cockroaches to thrive. In this guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about cockroaches in North Carolina - how to identify them, how to keep them out of your home, and what to do if you already have an infestation.
Types of Cockroaches Found in North Carolina
Cockroaches are one of the most common pests here in North Carolina. There are several different species that can be found in our homes, but the German cockroach and American cockroach are by far the most common.
The German cockroach is the most common type of cockroach found in North Carolina homes. These pests are small, only about ½ an inch long, and are brown with two dark stripes running down their backs. German cockroaches are typically found in kitchens and bathrooms, where they can find food and water.
The American cockroach is the second most common type of cockroach found in our state. These roaches are much larger than German cockroaches, measuring up to three inches long. American cockroaches are reddish-brown with a yellow band around their heads. Like German cockroaches, they're often found in kitchen and bathroom areas.
What Attracts Cockroaches to Your Home
Like most pests, cockroaches are attracted to food and water, so kitchens and bathrooms are typically their go-to spots in homes. The most common things that attract them to your home include:
- Crumbs on the counter or floor - Even the smallest crumbs can attract cockroaches to your home.
- Dirty dishes in the sink - Cockroaches are attracted to dirty dishes because they're looking for food.
- Water - Cockroaches are attracted to water, so leaky pipes and damp areas in your home will make them want to stay.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches in North Carolina
There are some DIY treatments that people use to get rid of cockroaches in their homes. Some treatments include:
- Boric acid - Boric acid is a common household item that can be used to kill cockroaches.
- Cockroach traps - Cockroach traps are available at most hardware stores and can be used to trap and kill cockroaches.
- Pesticides - Another option for getting rid of cockroaches is to use pesticides. When using pesticides, be sure to follow the directions on the label carefully.
DIY treatments aren't always effective which is where B&T Pest Control comes in. Our exterminators have the training and expertise to get rid of your infestation fast and give you back your peace of mind. Contact us today to get started!