Are The Mice In Jacksonville Dangerous?
Mice tend to get mixed reactions from people. Some people think that these tiny, furry rodents are cute. Others, however, find mice to be repulsive and disgusting creatures. No matter what your opinion is about them, nobody likes to have wild mice running through their homes and damaging their property. At B&T Pest Control, we have been providing reliable pest control in Jacksonville for years. We know what it takes to get rid of mice in your home and keep them away for good.
About The Mice In Jacksonville
Mice are one of the most common types of pests that we find in Jacksonville homes. If you see a mouse in your home, there are a few important facts that you should know. Mice are:
- Hard to catch: If you think that you are going to be able to easily catch a mouse, think again. Mice are incredible runners and can travel up to eight miles per hour. They also have excellent hearing that allows them to hear you from several yards away.
- Small enough to easily fit through small spaces: Mice don't require a large entrance to come into your home. Their small bodies can squeeze through gaps, cracks, and holes that are around the size of a nickel.
- Exceptionally athletic: If mice could compete in the Olympics, they would take home the gold for running, jumping, climbing, and swimming every time. Despite their small size, they can jump up to a foot in the air. They can also climb on wooden surfaces, wires, cloth, and other surfaces with impressive speed and agility.
- Fast breeders: An adult female mouse can have between 70 and 100 babies each year. It only takes a newborn mouse five to seven weeks before it reaches full maturity. This means that one or two mice in your home can quickly turn into one or two hundred mice very quickly.
Mice are also unsanitary creatures that will leave droppings and urine all over your home. The droppings and urine have a strong odor. If you notice a powerful, musty smell coming from your walls, closet, or any other area in your home, there are probably several mice living inside.
How Mice Create Damage And Spread Disease
Mice can quickly destroy your home and property. They have sharp teeth that allow them to chew through most materials with ease. If you put your clothes in a plastic clothes hamper, you could open it to find small to medium-sized holes chewed in your wardrobe.
Mice are unclean animals that can carry a wide range of diseases and viruses including:
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
If mice can enter your home, they can spread these deadly diseases to you and your family, which can sometimes lead to life-threatening illnesses and infections.
Why DIY Mice Control Is A Waste Of Time And Money
It is difficult to get rid of mice on your own. There are a few different reasons why do-it-yourself mouse control solutions rarely work.
First, many people underestimate the problem. Mice like to hide in between walls, above ceilings, and in other hard-to-access places. If you are seeing a couple of mice in your home, there is a very good chance that there are several more hiding out of sight. To correctly solve your mouse problem, you need to know the scope of the mouse problem you have.
Another reason why DIY methods don't work is due to inexperience. If you are not familiar with the many habits mice have, you are less likely to eliminate them from your home. To know where to set the traps and what kind of traps you need, you should have extensive knowledge about where the mice are most likely to be and how they are most likely to get from point A to point B.
The Trick To Getting Rid Of Mice Forever
If you are looking for complete mouse control in your home, it is best to let a professional handle it. If you think that you have a mice infestation in your Jacksonville home, feel free to give us a call today. At B&T Pest Control, we have the tools and the experience to eliminate the mice from your home and keep them from coming back in the future.